Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Yedidunya ~ Loquat

Loquat
Once upon a time, my husband's cousin went hunting through an orchard for some ripe "yedidunya". It was her faaaavorite fruit, and the season is short, so we made a detour.

The name yedidunya means "seven worlds" and I've always believed it alluded to the idea of the seven heavens, ie: amazing fruit such as this can only come from the seventh heaven.  I might be wrong, but I think I must be right. My husband's cousin agrees with me.

So:
1) Why am I writing about this today? And
2) Where have I been for the past month? And
3) Where can we get some yedidunya???

*Sighs* I spent most of last month revising, but there was a short stint where I disappeared for a weekend Master Class. Then I unplugged and went to the beach. Something I highly recommend, btw, even when your inner editor balks at the idea because you have so much work (and you have pages and pages of notes on things to fix from class). In fact, especially when your inner editor balks. Put it in it's place because there's nothing more urgent than a creative recharge.

The answer to question number three is a bit trickier, as the only place I know to find yedidunya is on Hilton Head Island. This part requires the slowing down and unplugging to occur.

Grab a bicycle and hit the trails near Harbor Town in Sea Pines, and there's a row of trees in fruit right along the edge of the marina. Everyone else just rides past because they don't know what the tree is, and they're oohing and ahhing at the giant live oak front and center. And you need to be riding at a snail's pace while you wait for the rest of your party to catch up, or you won't see the fruit either.

Then go home and look up "yedidunya" for the first time ever and learn that it's actually a loquat, Eriobotrya japonica, aka Japanese Medlar, Japanese plum, or Chinese plum. Learn that the flavor is accurately described as a mix of peach, citrus and mango, and that the fruit makes great jam. Also realize at this point that the slightly poisonous seeds you've saved are not useful without a greenhouse because you can't fit a ten foot tree in your house.

I'm guessing people in points south have loquats growing someplace near them. Probably California is a good place to look for some too. Otherwise, I've never seen loquats in a store. Have you?

7 comments:

Southpaw said...

It totally pays to really look around.

Growing up in California we had a kumquat tree in the yard.Not the same but similar. From what you wrote, loquats taste a whole lot better.

Carolyn V said...

I've never seen loquats in our store or even around. Sounds delish though. ;)

Golden Eagle said...

Hmm. I've never noticed loquats in the store before, but I've never really looked, either. I'll have to investigate next time I'm there. :)

Sarah said...

I was thinking the same thing as Southpaw--I'm familiar with kumquats, but the loquat sounds a lot yummier!

Dahlia Adler said...

I've never seen them in America but I've spent a lot of time in Israel, where they're called "shesek," and am absolutely in love with them. I was so disappointed when I first learned they weren't nearly as prevalent in Ameriac!

Ruhi said...

Sorry to be correcting you, but it's actually 'Yeni Dünya', ie 'New World', nothing to do with 'Yedi' meaning 'seven'. I should know, I'm Turkish.

Carolyn Abiad said...

I've heard people use both terms - yeni and yedi. Perhaps it's a local thing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails