Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Look Into My Crystal Ball

Cartoon about a fortune teller contacting the ...Image via WikipediaTasseography, or reading the coffee grounds, is my point of inspiration for several parts of my MS. Simple acceptance of pscychic ability doesn't work for me or my MC though. So I had to find a way for a girl to rationalize it.

How could it work if say... we accept the Multiverse theory? That's where I go into a tale-spin cycle.

If a fortuneteller were to look at our lives from another angle, they might see the inevitable. An aerial view, if you will. They could know your relationship isn't going to last because from up there, they can see he's already cheating.

But what about The Secret?

What if tapping into a superconscious gives the fortuneteller information from collective knowledge. For example, he's already thinking about leaving you, but he hasn't said anything. Or maybe the fortuneteller is looking into your past and picking out familiar patterns. All of these things involve perspective alone. What if the fortuneteller can't change her perspective (she is only human after all) but she can contact someone who does ...like a ghost...or a djinn. Yes, djinn are supposed to live in a parallel universe, so that theory works like magic!

Why is it that we accept angels, ghosts and demons without a second thought, but seeing the future needed an explanation?
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

Creepy Query Girl said...

I think maybe its because the future is changeable really. What you do can effect the outcome of things. Nothing is really inevitable, you have the power to change it. That said, I do believe in fortune tellers and have been to see one a few times. When I was fourteen a fortune teller told me I would marry a foreigner and move over seas. I didn't even remember it until I'd been here for a while and my mom had found the tape. She said I'd have three BOYS though. I have three girls:)

Old Kitty said...

The future is far scarier than demons!! LOL!!But seriously - I guess personally for me - much as I'd like to know if what I'm doing now will work later - it's the unknown aspect of the journey that I find the most thrilling!!

But I wouldn't say no to a djinn's perspective!! Take care
x

Jules said...

I went to see a seer once... most expensive laugh I've ever paid for :)

But there are true seers out there it's just some people don't want to look at today let alone tomorrow :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Carolyn V. said...

I agree with Katie. It's probably because the future is so easy to change.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails